Bombay School - Our Best Always - Ake Runga - Years 0 to 8

Bombay School 29/10/2012

Bombay School Education Review

1 Context

2 Learning

3 Curriculum

4 Sustainable Performance

About the School

Location                                                               Bombay

Ministry of Education profile                        1234

number

School type                                                        Full Primary (Years 1 to 8)

School roll                                                          343

Gender composition                                      Boys 50%

Girls 50%

85%

12%

Review team on site                                      August 2012

Date of this report                                             29 October 2012

May 2009

May 2006

December 2002

Most recent ERO report(s)                          Education Review

Education Review
Education Review

The Purpose of an ERO Report

The purpose of ERO’s reviews is to give parents and the wider school community assurance about the quality of education that schools provide and their children receive. An ERO school

From: http://www.ero.govt.nz/Early-Childhood-School-Reports/School-Reports/Bombay-School-29-10-2012© ERO 2010

report answers the question "How effectively is this school’s curriculum promoting student learning - engagement, progress and achievement?” Under that overarching question ERO reports on the quality of education and learning outcomes for children and for specific groups of children including Māori students, Pacific students and students with special needs. ERO also reports on the quality of the school’s systems for sustaining and continuing improvements.

Disclaimer

Individual ERO school and early childhood centre reports are public information and may be copied or sent electronically. However, the Education Review Office can guarantee only the authenticity of original documents which have been obtained in hard copy directly from either the local ERO office or ERO National Office in Wellington. Please consult your telephone book, or see the ERO web page, http://www.ero.govt.nz, for ERO office addresses.

1 Context

What are the important features of this school that have an impact on student learning?

Bombay School is located on Bombay Hill south of Auckland. It is a rural school catering for students from Years 1 to 8. The roll at the time of the review was 343 including 41 students who identify as Māori. The school continues to operate an enrolment scheme to manage roll growth. Currently 43% of students are from out of zone. Students and parents appreciate the attractively presented grounds and well-maintained buildings, including an extensively resourced library.

Since the previous review, leadership and staffing have remained stable. The school has maintained a strong focus on literacy and mathematics. Teachers have benefitted from professional learning and development in instructional reading. The board has continued to generously fund resources for teaching and learning, including increasing infrastructure and capacity for Information and communication technologies (ICT).

A feature of the school is the settled and respectful atmosphere for learning.

The school has responded positively to recommendations identified in the previous ERO review to strengthen the analysis and use of assessment data, and review the roles and responsibilities of middle and senior managers.

2 Learning

How well are students learning – engaging, progressing and achieving?

At the end of 2011 the school reported that a significant majority of students achieved at or above National Standards in reading and mathematics. Slightly lower levels of achievement were reported in writing, and the school is implementing professional learning for teachers to address this. The school’s achievement information from 2010 to 2011 showed that most students made expected progress in reading, writing and mathematics during this time. School data indicates that Māori students achieve and progress as well as non-Māori.

ERO observed high levels of student engagement in meaningful learning programmes.

The board receives regular, detailed reports on student achievement and uses this information effectively to guide their decision making. This includes the provision of a wide range of programmes to support students who are underachieving.

School leaders make good use of school-wide assessment data to determine appropriate targets, monitor achievement of individual students and provide relevant professional learning and development for teachers. Syndicate leaders are using student achievement information to guide teachers’ reflection on practices that will accelerate student progress.

Teachers use a wide range of assessment information to plan relevant learning programmesfor the students, including the development of individual student goals. These goals are regularly monitored and shared with parents at student conferences. While in some classes learning goals are well understood by students and provide them with useful next learning steps, teachers now need to embed these effective practices across the school.

Parents are well informed about student achievement including comprehensive end-of-year reports in relation to the National Standards. Senior leaders recognise the need to include progress towards National Standards in interim reports.

3 Curriculum

How effectively does this school’s curriculum promote and support student learning?

Bombay School curriculum effectively promotes and supports student learning. A high priority is placed on literacy and mathematics programmes. School leaders have developed comprehensive expectations to guide teaching and assessment practice in these areas. These guidelines are consistently implemented by teachers, contributing to good-quality student-centred teaching practices that are evident in many classrooms. Teachers make good use of ICT to engage students in learning. They maintain well-organised and stimulating class environments that support and celebrate student learning and success. A feature of the curriculum is the rich variety of experiences in the arts, sports, environmental science and education outside the classroom. Senior students have many opportunities to develop theirleadership skills and to support younger students.

Senior leaders and ERO agree that there is a need for continuing curriculum development in learning areas other than literacy and mathematics. This should include consulting with parents and whānau to identify learning priorities and contexts that maximise the potential of the school community and the environment.

How effectively does the school promote educational success for Māori, as Māori?

The school is increasingly promoting educational success for Māori as Māori. A recent focus on engaging whānau, and including aspects of tikanga Māori in school protocols, issupporting a sense of wellbeing and belonging for Māori students and their families. The school is part of a wider community initiative, Te Huarahi, which is a strategically planned approach to raising the profile of Te Ao Māori in schools. A knowledgeable teacher effectively oversees the implementation of the school’s Māori action plan. She is well supported by school personnel and whānau. As a result of these initiatives, Māori perspectives are becoming more visible in the school.

4 Sustainable Performance

How well placed is the school to sustain and improve its performance?

The school is well placed to sustain and improve its performance due to:

effective governance provided by a well-informed board of trustees

strong curriculum leadership from the knowledgeable deputy and assistant principals

the principal’s successful focus on establishing positive relationships among staff, trustees, parents and students

a collegial and cohesive teaching team that have developed a culture of professional learning and dialogue

a well-embedded culture of self review that is focused on school improvement continued high levels of community support and involvement.

To ensure the ongoing development of the school’s curriculum, it is important for the principal to strengthen his leadership in this area.

Board assurance on legal requirements

Before the review, the board of trustees and principal of the school completed the ERO Board Assurance Statement and Self-Audit Checklists. In these documents they attested that they had taken all reasonable steps to meet their legislative obligations related to:

board administration

curriculum

management of health, safety and welfare personnel management

financial management

asset management.

During the review, ERO checked the following items because they have a potentially high impact on student achievement:

emotional safety of students (including prevention of bullying and sexual harassment) physical safety of students

teacher registration

stand-downs, suspensions, expulsions and exclusions attendance.

When is ERO likely to review the school again? ERO is likely to carry out the next review in three years.

Makere Smith

National Manager Review Services Northern Region (Acting)

29 October 2012

35 Paparata Road, Bombay 2675
P 09 236 1012 | F 09 236 0458 | E admin@bombay.school.nz