Newsletter : 9 March - 15 March
Welcome to the Bombay School Newsletter
( If you are viewing this newsletter on your phone, turn it landscape.)
( If you fill in an embedded form in this newsletter - remember to get to the end of the newsletter and to press the blue SUBMIT button. We can only see submitted forms.)
(Have we got your latest email address?  Have you downloaded the school App?)
(This newsletter is best viewed on an electronic device such as a computer or smartphone.  The PDF version is the poor cousin because it cannot display dynamic content.)
Sign in to Google to save your progress. Learn more
Charter Survey : For Parents
School Calendar 9 March - 15 March
*Thursday 9 March
  North Group Swimming Yr 5 & 6 - Cancelled
  Kotare (Rm's 4,5,6 & 7) Swimming Demonstration 1:50pm @ school pool -Postponed until Thursday 16 March
  Newsletter updated by 1pm
  Order your Graze lunch order by 8pm today

*Friday 10 March
  Franklin Triathlon
  Graze lunch orders delivered today.
  Please have your Photo forms back to the office today

*Monday 13 March
 Photolife -Class and Individual Photos

*Tuesday 14 March
  Tuhona Zoo Trip
  Franklin Yr 7 & 8 Swimming
  Whole school assembly 1:50pm in the hall

*Wednesday 15 March
  ASB School Banking Day
Home & School Easter Raffle
Tuhono Zoo Trip
Year 3 and 4 children will be visiting the Auckland Zoo on Tuesday 14 March.
We will be leaving school at 8.45am and return approximately 2.45pm.
Notices were handed out Friday 3 March and need to be returned to the school office prior to the trip.

Thanks Tuhono team.
Photolife - Class and Individual Photos Monday 13 March
PHOTOS will be taken on Monday 13 March. Forms have been sent home for you to order and prepay for your photos. Please read the instructions carefully. All orders must be received by Friday 10 March. If you are paying photos with one cheque, please just staple the envelopes together, placing the cheque in one of the envelopes. Sibling envelopes are available on request, from the school office.  
Only Bombay school students will be photographed.
To Parents of Year 4-8 students
Australian Exams

As many of you already know, the school offers these exams in Mathematics, Science, English & Digital Technologies.
The price for these exams have, this year, gone up from $8.50 to $9.50 per subject.
We have the opportunity to have the 2016 price of $8.50 if we send our entries in by 31 March.  We of course, would like to take advantage of this for you.
An entry form is below, if you are interested, please complete and return the form with payment by Friday 24 March.
Payment can also be made directly to the school account [12-3023-0473410-00] (please use reference 'Aust Exams') but you must return the form so that I know which exams your child is entering.  

School Leaders
We will be announcing school leaders later this term. I thought that it was important to share the selection process with you, so that you had some insight into how we arrive at our list of names.

This process begins the year before the announcement.

Teachers begin looking at how prospective leaders contribute to school life. They consider how proactive students are and how often they show their initiative. Contexts for this could be assemblies, mini gala's and calf club.

Other criteria include, but is not limited to :
on task behaviour
personal responsibility
school wide behaviour
track record
decorum
pride in the uniform
manners
relating to others
participation and contribution
consistency
"stickability"
resilience
the concept of others before self
reliability
ability to self regulate.

Toward the end of the year, the out going leaders are asked for their input.
Their vote is noted and it informs the decision that will be made by the end of term 1 the following year.
Then at the start of the year teachers begin weekly recordings of student's contributions to the running of the school.

Students are closely observed and their contributions and participation in school events is noted and discussed.

The principal also notes which students use their initiative and which students take the opportunities to serve others at school.

All senior school students are then asked to vote on their picks of student leader.

This vote informs the decision making process.

Then senior teachers meet and collate their data and shortlist candidates.

This list is then taken to the full staff who are asked for their input as many of the teachers would have taught the seniors at some point and will be able to attest to their leadership ability and potential.

Following that staff meeting the Assistant Principal and the Principal whittle the shortlist down to the final list, taking into account all data and gender representation.

Regards,
Paul

Strep throat
We've noticed a spike in strep throat related absences.  If your child complains of a continually sore throat, it may pay to take him/ her to the doctor for a check-up.  
Missing Readers
If there are any school readers hiding under beds at home, could you please rescue them and return them to school?
We would love to use them again.

Whanau Goal Sharing Evening
We are going to do things differently this year.  All families are invited to attend a whanau hui (family meeting) on Tuesday 4 April - starting at 3pm.
Starting @ 3pm to 4.30pm - meet in your child(ren)'s classroom.  See their work. Discuss their goals. Meet the teacher(s).
               @ 4.30pm head to the hall for a 4.40pm (sharp) Kapa Haka & School Singing
               @ 5pm - 6pm We are hosting a sausage sizzle. We will ask for RSVP's later this term,  to help us cater correctly.
               @ 6pm - 7pm You're invited to a presentation on the teaching of reading at Bombay school. How we do it and how  
                    you can help.
Airpoints for schools.
Did you know that you could support the school by donating airpoints?
Follow this link for more details :
https://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/airpoints-for-schools

Chromebook Safety Tips
Home & School Summer Fundraiser-Save the date!
Graze Food-Lunch Orders
Delicious healthy lunches are available to order for Friday's. All orders must be in by 8pm Thursday evening.
https://grazefood.co.nz/

ASB Banking
Banking Day is Wednesday. Please bring your banking to the office. The winner of the banking trophy this week is: Isabella Powell.  If you would like to open a bank account please collect a form from the office.
Thank you from Kotare and Tuhono
A HUGE thank you to the amazing parents who came along on the Mt William walk last Thursday. We had a wonderful day and really appreciate your help. We would also like to thank Helen & Blair George for access to the summit via their farm, and to Helen for kindly providing baking for us when we reached the bottom. A great way to finish-thank you.
Kotare (Rm's 4, 5, 6 & 7) Swimming Demonstration-Postponed
Due to the weather this event has been postponed until Thursday 16 March from 1:50pm at the school pool. All parents are welcome to join us to observe this carnival/demonstration.
Bracu
Coming Events
Friday 10 March        Franklin Triathlon @ Clarks Beach - Enter online (see info below)
Tuesday 14 March    Franklin Swimming Yr 7 & 8
Thursday 16 March  Franklin Swimming Yr 5 & 6
                                     Kotare (Rm's 4,5,6 & 7) Swimming Demonstration 1:50pm @ school pool.
Tuesday 21 March   Franklin Rippa Rugby
Wednesday 5 April   Champion of Champions Swimming
Wednesday 12 April Orienteering Practice @ Colin Lawrie Fields

North Group Yr 7 & 8 Swimming Results
We had a fabulous day on Tuesday with some very impressive results. Well done everyone. Thank you parents for your help. Results below:
Samantha:  Yr 7 Girls 1st 100m Freestyle, 50m Open Butterfly, 50m Breaststroke, 200m Freestyle, Girls Relay,  2nd 50m Backstroke, 50m Freestyle
Sophie:  Yr 7 Girls 1st Girls Relay, 3rd 50m Freestyle,
Mikaela:  Yr 8 Girls 1st 100m Freestyle, 50m Backstroke, 50m Freestyle, 50m Breaststroke, Girls Relay
Jorja:  Yr 8 Girls 1st Girls Relay, 2nd 100m Freestyle, 50m Open Butterfly, 3rd 50m Backstroke, 50m Freestyle
Bronwyn:  Yr 8 Girls 2nd 50m Backstroke, 50m Breaststroke, 3rd 50m Open Butterfly
Cailtin:  Yr 8 Girls 1st Girls Relay
Max:  Yr 7 Boys 1st 100m Freestyle, 50m Backstroke, 50m Open Butterfly, 50m Freestyle, 50m Breaststroke, 200m Freestyle, Boys Relay
William:  Yr 7 Boys 1st Boys Relay, 2nd 100m Freestyle, 50m Freestyle,  3rd 50m Backstroke
Jack:  Yr 7 Boys 1st Boys Relay, 2nd 50m Backstroke, 3rd 50m Freestyle, 50m Breaststroke  
Harrison:  Yr 8 Boys 1st 100m Freestyle, Boys Relay, 2nd 50m Freestyle, 3rd 50m Backstroke
Peter:  Yr 8 Boys 1st 50m Backstroke, Boys Relay
Flynn:  Yr 8 Boys 2nd 50m Breaststroke

Hi everyone
Just a reminder the Franklin Triathlon is tomorrow Friday 10 March, 2017 at Clarks Beach starting at 9.30 am.
Community Notices
Our Charter Survey for Parents
What is your name please? *
What are we missing? Do you have any ideas to share about the competencies that are important to you? *
Submit
Clear form
Never submit passwords through Google Forms.
This form was created inside of Bombay School. Report Abuse