Bombay School - Our Best Always - Ake Runga - Years 0 to 8

Bombay School Newsletter 14 November 2019 ( #35)   
~ Our Best Always ~  Ake Runga ~   
2019 Sponsors
Matthew Bagley (IT Support)
 Franklin Law 
Frequently used links:
Raising a concern.  Road Patrol Roster  Walking School Bus Coordinator     Our Facebook Page  
Latest Pool News Term Dates for 2020

Hunua Camp Info

Principal's Message

Introducing new full-time fixed term teachers for 2020

Mrs Dorotich
Charlotte Dorotich is a very experienced teacher.
She comes to us from Opaheke School where she a current team leader.  Charlotte will be working in a maternity leave position for 2020.
Mrs Assink
Kate is a strong classroom practitioner who has high expectations that children will succeed. She is currently working in Kotuitui. Kate will take on a fixed term role in 2020.

Class Placements - What's the process?

As we work towards finalising class lists for 2020, I thought it would be a good idea to share some insights into how the process works. 

Classroom placement at Bombay is a process that takes our staff many hours of careful thought and consideration.  Staff know the children well in terms of their personalities, classroom friends, and learning habits. Near the end of each school year, senior leaders begin to gather data from a range of sources. They then draft class lists and take this to each teaching team. 

Staff then try to create a balance — to integrate fast and slow learners, shy and assertive personalities, and children from different backgrounds.  Current teachers look at the lists and bring their knowledge to the table. While your child's current teacher is perhaps most qualified to match your child with his/her next teacher, you can certainly be involved. This is why we asked for your input as well and it is given serious consideration.  The deadline for your input is 25 November @10pm. ( A period of 11 days was set aside for this.) .  Please complete this form, Mrs Stafford-Bush, Mrs Batters and Mr Petersen have access to this form.

In no particular order, we consider:

1.  What the achievement data is telling us. Each class is usually made up of 4-5 groups of children. Each group works within the same ability range. For example in reading a group of 8 students could be working at a reading age range of Level 22-25.    So a typical class would have one group of low readers, another of mid-low readers, another mid-high and the last group would be high-level readers.  The same decision making would apply for writing and maths.  The aim would be to achieve a balanced class - that would approximate the bell curve for achievement. Within a flexible space, students of similar ability would work together with one teacher for a specific subject.
  2. Social needs - we consider which children relate well to each other and who needs to be kept together - for their own social development. Conversely, we consider who needs to be separated from each other.  We also use information from teachers, teacher aides, parents and file notes to decide on social groupings.  The age and stage of children in terms of their psychological development and resilience are also taken into account.
  3. We consider parent wishes - if these are known to us before the submission deadline.
  4. We consider teacher's wishes. Sometimes a teacher knows that they would be the best fit for a particular child because they can relate to the child, have experience working with that personality type etc. The converse is also considered.
  5. We consider children with additional needs. Which teachers would be the best fit? How many additional needs children are in a class and what would the potential impact be on that child and others in the class.
  6. Students with behavioural challenges are also carefully considered. How many are there in a class. Who do they need to be separated from? Who do they relate to? etc
  7. Gender balance is also considered. We aim to have a 50-50 split.
  8. When making classroom placements we always consider the individual child while recognising that each child is also part of a complex equation. Once the classroom communities have been formed the movement of one child from the group can alter the integrity of the group and causes a chain reaction within the classroom balance. We also work with the confidence that all Bombay teachers and staff have the skills to help children adjust to their new learning environment. 
  9. With children at the centre of our process, our goal is to create an optimal learning environment for all Bombay students. This includes our commitment to a wide range of learners, and as well as valuing the genius in every child. 
  10. The are many, and interrelated, factors to be considered when constructing a classroom as a whole. While we try our level best to accommodate parent requests we cannot guarantee this.  The teachers spend many hours thinking about the best learning environment for all students and we ask that you trust our process. Thank you for your cooperation with this.
  11. While we try our best to accommodate requests for friends to remain together, we cannot guarantee it.  We find that children placed with their best friend often work and play exclusively with each other, and this does not promote the diverse social interactions we try to foster at Bombay. However, we also try to make sure every child has some “support” from other children in class placements. We find that young children change best friendships often, as parents well know.  We will also be privy to requests from parents for their child to be separated from others. It could well be that the parents of the child you would like to be with your child, have requested the opposite for our consideration.
  12.  Part of the school experience is to learn to function socially with all kinds of people, to prepare children for that reality in life. However, our placement process works hard at separating the most nonconstructive relationships, as best we can.
If my child is upset about their placement how do I best support them as a parent?

We understand that occasionally children are upset with their class placement. It is not uncommon for individuals to hear that a certain teacher is the best to have or to feel that one teacher has a reputation for being too strict – often these “reputations” are what leads to the child’s feelings. It is critically important for you to know that students’ attitudes towards their teachers and school are highly influenced by the attitudes and strategies of their parents.

You can provide your child with a successful beginning of the year experience by responding to their classroom assignment with positive enthusiasm. Through confidence in our children’s ability to deal with change and parent’s cooperation and trust, we can all work together to enhance personal development and provide a positive school climate for all.

Teachers for Term 1 2020

Kotare Year 0 - 2
Tuhono Year 3 - 4 
Kotuitui Year 5 - 6 
Kakahu Year 7-8
Room 4 - empty T1 & T2
Room 4 - T3 & T4 - Miss Lemon
Room 9 Year 2/3
Miss Raman & Mrs Batters
Room 1 Year 5 /6
T1 & T2 Miss Lemon
T3 & T4 Mrs Wang
Piwakawaka
Year 7 / 8
Mrs Hughes

Room 5 - New Entrant/ Year 1
Mrs Cameron Mrs Muir
Room 10 Year 3/4
Mrs Dorotich
Room 2 Year 5 / 6
Mrs Assink
Kereru
Year 7 / 8
Mrs Yorwarth

Room 6 - Year 1 / 2
Mrs Jones
Room 11 Year 3/4
Miss Goldstone
Room 3 Year 5 / 6
 Ms Kay
Kotuku
Year 7 / 8
Mrs Melville

Room 7 - Year 1 / 2
Miss Dones
Room 12 Year 3/ 4
Mrs Steer & Mrs Batters

Mrs Burford will be on leave for Term 1. She will be using the time to help her son settle into school.

Mrs Wang will be on leave for Term 1-2. She has won a prestigious science fellowship. She will be engaged in science professional development and she will be bringing that learning to Bombay when she returns in term 3.

We will cover teacher release time from our pool of preferred relievers. 

I now welcome any special requests with regard to your child's classroom placement for 2020. This will include which teacher you would prefer for your child and which children you would want your child to be with or separated from in 2020.  Please use this form 

Composite Classes Explained

Composite classes can be confusing because one could focus on the age of the children rather than on their learning stage. If you would like to know more about composite classes, click here.

Please come and see me

If you have any questions or concerns about how the school will function, please come and see me or send me an email. I would rather that you heard from the school directly.

Best wishes,

Paul

Hunua Camp : Year 3-4 . Rooms 8,9,10.11
Hunua Camp Info

Reminders

ASB Banking day is Wednesday. Bring your banking into the office. If you would like to open a bank account please collect forms from the office. 

Uniform - Please label all uniform items clearly. We have a large collection of lost property. Labelled items will be returned to their owner.  Thank you

For information on  the Yr 3/4 Hunua Camp follow this link: https://bit.ly/2HvZGWf

Lost - has anyone accidentally picked up Quinn’s jumpers. He is room 7, he has lost 2 jumpers size 6 and both are named with Quinn Packer and my cell number. Please return to Rm 7 if found. Thank you.
I
Kids Art Works Calendar Orders

Calendar art  orders are available online. Orders close on Monday 18 November @ 9am.  These are great gift ideas for Christmas.  If you loose your unique order code please contact the school office.

Free to good home  
A family have donated some martial arts uniforms and gear. If you would like them please come to the office to collect. First in first serve. See below:

Event: Garden Ramble

Sunset Beach Surf Club rowers presents the best garden ramble ever.

Come along and enjoy the tranquility and beauty of these large country style. These gardens will lift

your spirit but the views will make your heart soar.

Grab the chance to explore these hidden gems.

Location: We have twelve gardens situated in Pukekohe, Tuakau, Onewhero and Port Waikato.

Time: One day only Saturday 30 th November

The gardens will be open at 9:30am and close at 4pm.

Tickets: cost $25

Tickets available from:

email surfboat@sunsetbeach.org.nz

Phone 027 228 5440

Coming Events

Wednesday 20 November Franklin Zone Athletics

Thursday 28 November Champion of Champions Athletics

Thursday 5 December Kotare and Tuhono Athletics Day. Starting at 9am until lunch time

Wednesday 13 November North Group Athletics

Well done to all the children who represented Bombay school at this event held yesterday. We had a great day with some impressive results.

Yr 6 Girls  Samantha L 1st 60m, 3rd 100m, 1st Long Jump, 2nd High Jump                                                                                     Phoebe L 2nd 60m, 1st 100m, 3rd 800m                                                                                                                                    Olivia B 3rd Discus,                                                                                                                                                                              Danika W 1st High Jump

Yr 5 Girls Piper L 2nd 200m, 2nd 800m, 2nd 1500m 1st Long Jump,  1st High Jump                                                                  Milla T 2nd Long Jump

Yr 5 Boys Oliver A 1st 60m, 1st 200m, 2nd 100m,  1st Shotput, 1st Long Jump, 1st High Jump                                               Dylan L 3rd 100m       Carter J 3rd Discus         Jake H 3rd 800m

Yr 6 Boys Meng L 2nd 60m                     Corey C 2nd Discus                                                                                                                     Jussi M 1st 800m, 1st 1500m, 3rd Discus, 3rd Long Jump        Cameron J 1st High Jump                                      Kyle M  2nd 800m, 2nd 1500m2nd High Jump

Yr 7 Girls Angela M 2nd Long Jump, 2nd High Jump, 3rd Discus        Tess R 1st 1500m                                                               Sophie S 2nd 1500m             Amber S 3rd 800m 

yr 7 Boys Cohen R 2nd 1500m, 2nd High Jump

Yr 8 Girls Abbey W 3rd 100m             Scout L 1st High Jump          Sasha N 3rd 800m, 3rd High Jump                                   Drew M 1st 800m, 1st 1500m

Yr 8 Boys Kalvin L 2nd Long Jump  Samuel C 3rd 800m

Community Notices

Kiaido Ryu Martial Arts (www.martialarts.co.nz)

Bombay School Hall Mondays and Wednesdays from 5:35pm

Ph: Richard 09 2925851 or mb/txt: 021 811199

Young at Art are running pre-Christmas workshops from 19th  - 23rd December this year with Kiwi Christmas Acrylic paintings, Table decorations, Elf on the Shelf Papier mache and our Supersonic ‘BIG Christmas Variety Workshop’ on Friday 20th Dec.  This includes watercolour cards, decorations and present making for family members.  For more information or to book please check out: http://www.youngatart.co.nz/holiday-workshops/, email: anna@youngatart.co.nz or Ph. 0297 712 923

Seasons For Growth is a grief, loss and change program for children and teens, and helps them deal with challenges in their lives e.g separation, divorce, death or family changes. The next after-school program starts on Thursday 24th of October, 4pm-5pm at St Andrews Church hall in Pukekohe. A Parent Programme is also available. The Programs run for 8 weeks during term time. For enquiries or enrolments please phone/text Marisa Skilton on 021 142 5812, office on 238 7228, or contact me at seasonsfranklin@xtra.co.nz. For more info go to www.pukekohecommunityaction.co.nz/seasons.

35 Paparata Road, Bombay 2675
P 09 236 1012 | F 09 236 0458 | E admin@bombay.school.nz

Important Notices